I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK.
They know me here...

Translate

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

NEW AUTHOR SERIES: Peta Crake

The series continues, and what an exciting one it is - so many fab new authors!

All the featured authors are from the Romance Writers of Australia or Romance Writers of New Zealand, and have just been or are newly published with the digital imprints of Australian publishing houses like - Random House, Harlequin, Penguin and Pan Macmillan.

This week, please welcome Peta Crake.

Peta Crake grew up in a small town on the south coast of Western Australia, where the idea of fairies and monsters residing in the thick forests was perfectly believable.

After spending nearly a decade living in Japan and revelling in its culture, she turned her hand to writing.

Now living back in Australia with a husband, two kids, a cuddle-addicted cat, and a thoroughly confused dog, she writes urban fantasy and paranormal romance full of strong sassy heroines, surprising heroes and disturbed side-kicks.

Title - HARBINGER
Release Date - August 2012
Publisher - Destiny Romance
Call Story - I originally pitched this book to Penguin at the RWA Melbourne conference in 2011. They requested a partial then the full manuscript but then sent back a lovely "revise and resubmit" letter.

It took me a few months to sort out some of the problems and I had just finished editing it for the second round of the Emerald Award when Sarah Fairhall contacted me. She told me that Penguin were starting up a new digital first imprint and if I had made the suggested revisions she would love to read the manuscript as she thought it would be perfect for it. She loved the changes I had made and about four or so months later Harbinger became one of the launch books for Destiny Romance.

What made it even more special was, at the Melbourne conference I decided I wanted to be able to stand up and get my first sales ribbon at the next conference and I just made it.

Peta accepting her First Sale ribbon
About your book:
Hero - Aden Karras, demigod son of Aphrodite and Adonis.
Heroine - Ophelia Lind (Phi),  a human messenger for the gods with a dislike of the deities she works for, and her father Hermes in particular.
Setting - Perth, Western Australia.

HARBINGER
As a messenger for the all-powerful and sometimes frightening gods, suburban Aussie girl Ophelia Lind is used to being at their beck and call. When gorgeous demigod Aden moves into her neighbourhood and starts taking advantage of her services, she believes life could not get any worse.
She's about to be proven very wrong.
Without warning an odious creature - evil incarnate - begins to stalk her. Ophelia is accustomed to adventures and scrapes but this is different. Even Aden, finds it difficult to protect her. Suddenly Ophelia is in a battle for survival and begins to question everything - her upbringing, her identity and her true feelings for the alluring and entirely frustrating Aden.


HARBINGER excerpt
The scarlet seal on the black scroll glowed and disappeared as soon as it touched Aden’s outstretched hand. His eyes flicked up to look at me; the spark of interest in them sent warning shudders down my spine. He slowly looked me up and down, as if appraising a piece of furniture he wanted to buy.
‘So you are one of Hermes’ little friends. Glad to see he is making his messengers more attractive.’
‘I’m sure Daddy dearest didn’t do it for your benefit.’
Aden couldn’t have looked more surprised if I had slapped him across the face with a fish. ‘Hermes is your father?’
‘Supposedly.’ I wasn’t about to tell him I had never met the god and the only thing Hermes had ever given me was my job and a lonely mother. I hadn’t even inherited any demigod powers.
Aden’s forehead crinkled as he slowly re-read the message. I would have given anything to see what Aunt Hera had written, but that was not part of my job description. I could touch but not look. He glanced up at me again, eyes full of speculation. Time to go. If I didn’t, I was going to say something I would regret. The guy seriously set my nerves on edge.
 ‘Wait.’ He touched my arm to stop me from leaving, and then waved his hand over the scroll to record a new message. It sealed automatically as he handed it to me, the red wax forming a perfect circle as a pulsing gold bar of light flowed through it.
‘Take this to Nym Dryad.’
‘Your wish is my command.’
‘Oh yes, I know.’ He dismissed me with a cocky grin and a flick of his hand.

Any upcoming releases?
My latest release, REVELRY, was out 14th August through Destiny Romance. It is a paranormal romance involving wolf shifters, a serial killer and a chocolate shop.

REVELRY
Shifter Revelry Bell is on the run. Pursued by both her pack and the Enforcers of the Preternatural Council, there are few places to hide. When her cash starts dwindling, Revelry picks up work in the small town of Ridgewood, USA. Trouble is, Ridgewood is home to a large shifter community and staying hidden isn't easy. Particularly with the sexy Connor Blythe home on leave and watching Revelry's every move.

Connor is everything Revelry is trying to avoid. A fellow wolf, he is also an Enforcer, and very suspicious of the new girl in town. But when danger and violence rock Ridgewood to its core, Revelry must decide if she can trust him, even if it means losing her freedom – or possibly even her life.


You can find out more about Peta on her website, or follow her on Facebook, Twitter or Goodreads.



No comments:

Post a Comment