I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK.
They know me here...

Translate

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Who's That Girl? interview with Chris Weston

This wonderful woman is a fellow-RWNZ Clendon Award winner who loves going to conferences!

Name? Chris Weston.

Where are you? I live in the foothills of the beautiful Dandenong Ranges just out of Melbourne with the hubby, the last of 4 children (who refuses to leave home), a very blonde dog and an aging cat.

How many years have you been a member of RWAustralia? Best I can recall, I joined the year Penny Jordan spoke in Melbourne at the Carlton Crest hotel. 

What genre/s do you write? I'm still trying to work out which category is the right fit - with the occasional dabble at single title contemporary. 

Who are your favourite authors? Jennifer Cruisie, Suzanne Enoch, Janny Wurts, Dick Francis.

What inspired you to write romance? I've always written romance - I was the kid in the back row in Science writing angst-ridden teenage love stories instead of paying attention to photosynthesis. My early writing memory was rewriting episodes of Rin Tin Tin - adding the required handsome cavalry soldier and a romance, of course.

Who's your dream agent and/or dream publisher? The one who loves my book enough to buy/represent it. 

What's the best thing about going to conference? Spending three entire days with people who TOTALLY understand what you do and why you love it so much. 

And lastly, finish these statements...
My greatest strength as a writer is...
I really want to pass on this one but one of my CP's has this really big whip, so I'll say that it's my dialogue and my humour (which just as often wreaks havoc with the tension).
A sexy hero needs... the right woman to bring him to his knees.
My latest WIP (work in progress) is about... a prince and, of all things, a secret baby. I didn't think I would ever write a secret baby book.
When I write I like to... play country and western music far too loudly - preferably Toby Keith, Tim McGraw or Lady Antebellum.
My best writing milestone to date is... I have two. Finishing my first book - I don't think people celebrate this milestone properly. How many people do you know (not counting writing friends) who have said 'I'd love to write a book one day' and have actually done it? The second is probably finishing the book that won RWNZ's Clendon Award. I felt that my writing took a big leap forward with that book.

Chris, thanks for strapping into my blog hotseat and answering my questions! :-)

5 comments:

  1. Hi Chris,
    Nice to read your hotseat answers :-)

    Hope the wedding went spectacularly!

    Cath

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris I really like the idea of celebrating 'The Finishing of the Book'. That's an idea that needs circulating. You're right --it's a fabulous achievement and we shouldn't be leaving it to outsiders to validate us and ours.Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cath
    The wedding was gorgeous - my little girl looked like a princess and the weather was perfect.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Neely. A writers it's often a Catch-22 - we need to be kinder to ourselves and tougher on ourselves at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview, Chris. I love learning more about my writing friends.

    ReplyDelete